The portfolio can be used to display your products, services or even work that you’ve done. Once the portfolio items have been created, you can display them via a portfolio section. This also means you can combine the portfolio with a lot of other content.
Creating a portfolio requires two important steps:
Creating portfolio items
First of all you’ll need to create portfolio items. To do this, follow these steps:
- Go to “Portfolio items -> Add New Item” from the WordPress admin area.
- Insert a title for your portfolio item. This is shown in the portfolio overview and on the portfolio item page itself, so make sure it’s catchy and not to long.
- Insert the content that you want to display into the editor. You can use columns to divide text and images, creating a magazine style layout – the choice is yours.
- Add your Featured Image from the option on the right side of the page editor. Note: Be sure to do this – this is a required step! Any size will do since the image will be automatically resized to cover the tile in the portfolio overview.
- Additionally you can also use sections in the portfolio. This allows you to reuse other items you’ve created, such call to action areas and create advanced portfolio items.
Creating a portfolio section
Once you’ve created some portfolio items you can start setting up a portfolio section to display these them. This is already explained in the Creating a sections page article, but for this example we’ll zoom in on the portfolio type section. To set up your portfolio section, follow these steps:
- Go to “Sections -> Add New” from the WordPress admin area.
- Insert a title for this section. This title will not be shown on the website and is purely to keep them track of your section in the WordPress backend.
- Select the “Portfolio” section type from the Additional settings panel on the right hand side. This will reveal the “Portfolio Section Options” below.
- From these new section options, you can set up some colours for your portfolio section and the number of columns you’d like to display.
- More importantly, you can set up your portfolio filter and the portfolio items that you wish to display. For flexibility reasons we haven’t coupled these settings – you can select any category and any portfolio item you want by ticking the relevant checkbox. Feel free to drag and drop the items to reorder them.
- All done! Save the page and you’ve created your very own portfolio section. Now you can load it on to any section page you want. Use it on frontpage, a portfolio page or maybe on a services page? The choice is yours.