The sections page can be used for a number of different things. You could use it to build a page with a series of rows of containing various content, or you could also use it to re-display content used elsewhere on the site on additional pages.
Creating a sections page requires two important steps:
First of all you’ll need to create some sections. To do this, follow these steps:
- Go to “Sections -> Add New” from the WordPress admin area.
- Insert a title for your section. This title will not be shown on the website and is purely to keep track of your items in the WordPress backend.
- Select the section type you desire from the section options. The ‘Plain content’ option will display the section with Standard content, the ‘Portfolio’ option will allow you to select portfolio items to show within this section, the ‘Widget area’ option will give you the option to display one of the sidebars you’ve created and the ‘Blog tiles’ option will display blog posts in the same layout that the portfolio is displayed.
- If you’ve selected the ‘Plain content’ option, you can select a Featured Image for your section. This image will automatically cover the whole background area of the section.
- Each section type has its own set of options. However, there are several options that all sections share: The section background and text colour, and the option to specify a top and bottom margin. You can also give the section a negative margin, in order to move the content up and down. If you give it enough negative margin you can even make one section hover over another. This is especially nice when used with images.
The section page will display all the sections that you have selected. To do this, follow these steps:
- Go to “Pages -> Add New” from the WordPress admin area.
- Insert a title for your page.
- For now, skip the content and select the “Sections page” page template from the dropdown on the right hand side of the page editor.
- In the “Section Page Options” which will display below, you can now select which sections you wishto display. We’ve chosen to list all the created sections here, so you can select which ones you want to display by ticking the relevant checkbox. You can also reorder the sections by dragging and dropping them into place.
- You can create several section pages like this, using different (or the same) sections on each.